June 2016

It's Winter again, 2nd one with Winston, although he's in much better condition than he was the last one. I needed to get him back to Andreno motors for Arno to do a good checkup on the motor and help me resolve these small oil drips from these spring-loaded pushrod tubes. Took a few days off work and ran him up to Villiersdorp for the day. Took a few hours, but they basically removed the tubes, cleaned them up and re-seated them and added a small touch of gasket sealer, and that's that. Drove him back home, and all good as gold for now, so I'm pleased. His mechanic commented on how smooth the engine was running now, no flat spots and very smooth. I've also piped in a DIY fire extinguishing system which comes from a 2.5 kg tank in the van, piped through to twin nozzles above each Carburettor. Should the worst happen, I can deploy the powder from inside without even opening the engine cover to help fuel a fire. Rather safe than sorry I say.

One of the last major things I've needed to do since I bought Winston was the roof seals. They were seriously shot from years in the African Sun, and perished to hard, brittle junk, which left black streaks whenever it rained or got wet. I managed to find a local supplier of the "J" profile outer seal, and the inner seal which is standard window rubber with a locking bead, and got to it.

Removing the roof was a breeze, 8 bolts off the 4 corners of the struts, and the roof was loose.

Here the outer seal around one of the corners. This wasn't doing anything for Winston anymore.

Strange when the whole roof was off, felt like a mega Sun-roof.

Got a flat screwdriver and a knife, and cut out all the old, rotten rubber. Took about an hour in total, but it all came out pretty easily thankfully.

In with the new. The new rubber has a small "t" profile that sits in the roof channel, so just had to press it in slowly but surely all the way round.

Once in, which was quick, I then proceeded to pull out the old Inner Seal. I thought this would be an easy process, but I was seriously mistaken. This job is NOT for the first-timer, and you need at least 2 helpers. I eventually cut my losses and called the friendly folks at Glasfit Montague Gardens, the same fellas that easily fitted the camper windows back into Winston a year previously. The Manager Shaun sent his mobile team out to take a look, and they could see it wasn't impossible, same rubber as the windows etc, and so after about an hour and a half, the new seal was in.. We all three had done some serious twisting and pressing and manipulation to get the two panels in and centered with the rubber. Trust me, it's NOT a DIY job this one.

Pressing in the locking seal. The guys used a tool that did this a lot easier.

The finished corners, smooth and clean.

Good for another 40 years in the African Sunshine.

Pg 36 Home