Next day, lots to do.. First thing was to get on the rear, and get the tail lights and new numberplate light installed. Then I'd move onto the dash. a little freaked out about cutting all these new holes in the body, but I know the end result is going to look awesome. Using the guideline document Manny sent me down, which is 15 pages of exactly where to install anything on these cars, so I knew I couldn't really stuff it up.

The back however, has PLENTY curves, so to find "straight" lines as per the guidelines, was very difficult. Anyway, measured 6 times, and then drilled.


2 frikkin hours later.. they were in. And the up-shining numberplate light as well.


Forwards to the interior. I had masked off the dash, and drawn on the gauges from templates.. The holes look HUGE. Or my Dash is slightly thinner in height than others. I had drilled the holes for the Dash "brow" already, so I could get a good idea if everything cleared and fitted ok. Because I am using a 115 mm Rev Counter, it's slightly larger than the standard 110 mm gauges, so I have to make some minor changes in the locations.


Then I left that again and went and mounted the door panels. Slowly but surely the pile of parts needing to be fitted is going down, and the missus is pleased to see the diningroom table again. The door panels were relatively simple, but tedious to fit, as I decided to use stainless screws with screw cup holders to finish the doors off how the originals were. Previously, I tried to hide the screw heads with beige cupboard caps.. what the frik was I thinking. Also finished the nose, bumper trim etc.. Can never have enough pics of such a cool looking car, with his brand new paint job.


Monaco GP a little boring, so, last major job for today, the dash. Got the vacuum out, Jigsaw, and just climbed in, no turning back anyway. Drilled pilot holes, and then just cut the dash up. Very thick body actually, close to 10mm's in places, so, nice and rigid construction. Once cut, I re-vacuumed all the fibreglass dust up to help keep the working space clean. (Check the dust residue after one hole on the bonnet..urgh..) Once all three were cut, I used some Masking tape to gauge where the dash panel would go, which is a small cushioned panel that is bolted onto the dash, either side of the eyebrow, and ties in with the door panel leading edges on each door. From this, I could then gauge how much double sided tape I'd need for the final job, covering the dash.


The properly built cars have a covered dash from the Windscreen rubber all the way over the dash, and down to the padded panel across the dash. My car had a fiberglass "cap" over the dash, which looked ok, but wasn't right. So, after looking at a pile of pics on doing this, I decided to just jump in. Cut a LOT of strong, double-sided tape, STRONG stuff, and covered the dash from the ridge where the windscreen rubber fits, all the way back, round the curve, and down to where the panel will be. Then cut a long strip of Vinyl, climbed in the car, and peeled off the paper, and proceeded to just press it down and pull it over the front of the dash, cutting excess off to help the vinyl shape around the dash curve. An hour later, all done.


All in all, a good, productive day.

Home Pg 20